Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Tortellini





Pasta Dough:
1 cup flour
1 cup semolina
1/2 to 3/4 cups water

Filling:
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 tbs parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbs parsley, chopped

Pasta dough is very strange to make. It takes a lot less water then you think it would, and you have to roll it much thinner than you think you should.

I used a KitchenAid stand mixer using a dough hook to mix my pasta dough. I just threw everything in there and let it run on low for 10 minutes. The dough was soft and elastic. The dough needs to rest for at least 30 minutes before you try to roll it out. Rolling it out by hand takes some time, I recommend using a pasta roller if you have one. I split the dough into thirds and rolled out each piece.
Once the dough was rolled out, I quickly mixed together the filling.
I used a ruler and a sharp knife to cut the dough into 2 inch square pieces.
Fill each piece with 1/4 tsp of filling and shape.
Here's a good video of how to shape them.
Also, if your dough is very dry use a tiny bit of water around the inside edges so that your tortellini seal nicely.
Cook in boiling water for 8-10 minutes.
I served mine hot with pasta sauce, zucchini and mushrooms, and a spoon of ricotta.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think fresh pasta might just be one of the best things ever!! This looks absolutely delicious!

the dainty baker said...

Oo that tortellini looks delicious!!

Post a Comment